Scientists and engineers who wish to develop their public engagement and science communication skills, enabling them to establish meaningful dialogue with diverse audiences.
Summary and Objectives:
The Engaging Policymakers Workshop illuminates the policy landscape, illustrating where and how policy happens and the many roles scientists and engineers can play in decision-making. Using the AAAS Public Engagement framework as a guide, participants develop an individual engagement goal, strategically identify a target audience and identify key ideas around which to center conversations. Facilitators guide participants through thinking critically about mechanisms for engaging policymakers, encouraging dialogue and evaluating their activity to inform future engagements. Participants analyze a real-world example that informs their engagement plans.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explore the science policy process and the many different types of policymakers.
- Develop a goal for engaging in science policy.
- Discuss strategies to effectively target policymakers at all levels.
- Review and evaluate examples of scientists engaging with policymakers.
- Draft conversation talking points