Scientists and engineers who wish to develop their public engagement and science communication skills, enabling them to establish meaningful dialogue with diverse audiences.
Summary and Objectives:
The introductory-level, Science Communication and Public Engagement Fundamentals module introduces scientists and engineers to the latest science communication research and basic best practices for engaging with the public. Participants use the AAAS Framework for Public Engagement to develop individual plans that include a public engagement goal and address ways to engage a relevant audience with tailored messages. Participants also brainstorm an engagement scenario and identify next steps to put their plans into action. This workshop is designed for scientists and engineers who don't have much experience with public engagement, although experienced engagers may find it useful.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Assess how the American public views science and solutions.
- Develop an individual goal for engaging the public on the topics of climate change and responses.
- Identify a target audience and consider how climate change impacts and responses align with the audience's concerns and interests.
- Draft key messages that will resonate with their audience.
- Plan for solutions-oriented engagement scenarios.