There is no charge to visit Quivira.  The Refuge no longer issues Senior and Access Passes (see details below).  Permits may be required for certain activities.

  • Permits

    Employee conduct deer research

    Hunting/Fishing Information

    Quivira does not require a permit for hunting or fishing (other than those required by the State of Kansas). Anyone wishing to hunt and fish should obtain a Hunting-Fishing Brochure, stating all Refuge-specific regulations, and it is easy to obtain in one of the following ways:

    1.  At any information or hunting kiosk at the Refuge.

    2.  At the Refuge Visitor Center, located at the south end of Quivira and open Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm.

    3.  Through the mail at:  Quivira NWR, 1434 NE 80th Street, Stafford, KS  67578

    4.  Download and print a copy of the Brochure by using this link:  Quivira Hunting-fishing Brochure 2019   


    Special Use Permits (SUP)

    Quivira issues Special Use Permits (SUP) on a case-by-case basis, and are of three basic types:  

    1.  General Use

    2.  Commercial

    3.  Research

    Most commonly, these permits are issued for activities such as specimen collection, closed-area entrance, or other legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  These permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.


    Permits are also available through Regional or National offices, and handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

  • America the Beautiful Passes

    Senior Pass 1

    The America the Beautiful passes offer discounted opportunities for visiting National Wildlife Refuges, National Park areas, and a variety of other federal lands across the United States.  Depending on the pass, discounts include free entrance and/or half price on camping and other activities.

    There are three types of passes:

    1.  Senior Pass, issued to persons age 62 or over.

    2.  Access Pass, issued to persons who have a disability.  There is no charge for this non-expiring pass.

    3.  Annual Pass, issued to anyone, and is valid for one full year from month of issue.


    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the America the Beautiful Passes (NPS) site for more information about passes.


    These passes can be obtained online, or in Kansas at selected offices or Corps of Engineers Lake offices or at the Great Plains Nature Center (Wichita), during business hours.

    Learn More