Permits and Passes


Bow hunting for deer is allowed on some units of Red River NWR.

  • Permits

    Refuge Hunting/Fishing Permits

    In addition to required state licenses, a signed Refuge Hunting/Fishing Permit must be carried by all persons wishing to hunt or fish at Red River National Wildlife Refuge.  Please refer to the inside of the hunting/fishing permit to determine which areas of the refuge are open to fishing and hunting and at what times of year those activities are permitted.

    Special Use Permits

    The primary purpose of National Wildlife Refuges is the conservation of wildlife and their habitats.  To help safeguard wildlife and their habitats and to ensure public uses of the refuge are compatible with our wildlife conservation purpose, Special Use Permits are required for activities such as: commercial photography and filming, any other commercial use, academic/school research and monitoring, and special events.

    Applications for Special Use Permits can be found at  Completed applications should be sent to the Refuge Manager at Red River National Wildlife Refuge.  The manager will review the application and contact you to issue a Special Use Permit if the activity is deemed appropriate.  

    Applications can be mailed, emailed or faxed to the refuge at the following address:

    Refuge Manager
    Red River National Wildlife Refuge
    150 Eagle Bend Point
    Bossier City, LA 71112
    Fax: (318) 742-1259
    Phone: (318) 742-1219

  • Passes

    There are no fees to visit Red River National Wildlife Refuge at this time.  Refuge rules and regulations can be found in Refuge Hunting/Fishing Permit and brochure.  You can obtain a copy of this permit/brochure at the Visitor Center at the Headquarters’ Unit at kiosks located at the other refuge units, and online.

    Duck hunters and others interested in purchasing a $25 Federal Duck Stamp may do so at the Bookstore at our Visitor Center.  Please call ahead to make sure the book store is open and that there are duck stamps in stock.