The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s mission is to work with others to conserve, protect and enhance fish and wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. The Service is committed to the outreach and recruitment of a highly qualified, diverse, and inclusive workforce to support our conservation mission.
THE PATHWAYS INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Pathways Internship Program provides students enrolled in, or accepted for enrollment, in a qualifying educational institution with paid opportunities to work either part- or full-time with the Service.
The program provides students the opportunity to explore career paths or interests related to their academic fields of study in the conservation field. Undergraduate and graduate students studying office administration, communications, anthropology, biology, and related fields are eligible to apply.
The Pathways Internship Program welcomes all backgrounds including women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented populations to gain valuable experience.
We are recruiting for a variety of student trainee positions that focus on biology, administrative support, and visitor services.
Programs: Ecological Services, Wildlife Sport Fish Restoration, Migratory Birds, Fish and Aquatic Conservation, National Wildlife Refuge System (including Realty and Wildfire), Science Applications, Office of Communications
Start dates & Work Schedule: Start dates are mainly in May and June 2023 depending on the position and most have flexibility. Duration of the positions varies but most are expected to continue through completion of your degree program with flexible work schedules.
Job Title and Series
Number of Vacancies
Student Trainee (Admin Support)
Apply on USAJobs (MN, NM, TX, WA, WV locations) DEADLINE EXTENDED
Student Trainee (Engineering)
Student Trainee (Communications/Public Affairs)
Apply on USAJobs DEADLINE EXTENDED
Student Trainee (Biological Sciences)
Student Trainee (Visitor Services)
Pay rate is $15.00 - $32.79 per hour depending on the position, location, level of education, and experience.
What grade (pay) level do you qualify for?
NOT JUST AN INTERNSHIP: A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Students who successfully complete Program requirements may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to a term or permanent position in the civil service.
Learn more about Pathways:
- Pathways Student Internship FAQs on USAJobs
- Pathways Student Internship details on Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website
HOW TO APPLY
- View the webinar for more information on Pathways, navigating USAJobs, and assembling your federal resume:
- Prepare your USAJobs profile. Upload your resume and most recent transcript. Prepare a cover letter identifying positions of interest. You can take these steps in USAJobs before the position opens. Help navigating USAJobs is available here.
- The advertisements will be open for applicants at 12:01 am (ET), Monday, March 20th, 2023, and close at 11:59 pm (ET), Friday, April 7th, 2023, for those positions indicated above where the application period was extended. Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to prepare their USAJobs profile and build or upload a resume early and begin the application process early during the open period to ensure there is time to address any questions or technical issues.