Anyone who desires to communicate effectively through maps
Summary and Objectives:
Maps can be a concise and powerful means of communicating. Mastering a few fundamental design concepts will enable you to create maps that both communicate effectively and are aesthetically pleasing. This intermediate course provides an overview of key cartographic design principles, including map elements, color, symbology, typography, organization and composition. The course features a combination of video lectures on cartography fundamentals, in-person demonstrations of key cartographic tools and design tips, and hands-on exercises performed using ArcGIS Pro. Each day you will apply your new-found knowledge by creating map projects and engage in peer review sessions, during which constructive critique will be exchanged, providing valuable feedback for improvement.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify what makes an effective map.
- Identify the best map type/design for your project.
- Apply key cartographic design principles to create maps.
- Implement tools and techniques using ArcGIS Pro.
- Improve your map compositions through constructive feedback.
- Use ArcGIS Online to share maps and create Story Maps.