3-200-30: Export/Re-export/Re-Import of Traveling Exhibitions and Reissuance under CITES and/or ESA

This application covers a wide range of Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and/or Endangered Species Act (ESA)-listed animals, whether live or dead. Use this application form for exports/re-exports and re-import for: Temporary travel (export and re-import) to exhibit animals, museum exhibitions, or other traveling exhibitions where specimens do not change ownership (e.g., not being bought or sold while outside the United States). 

A Traveling Exhibition Certificate (Resolution Conf. 12.3(Rev. CoP18)) applies only to an animal or non-living specimens that qualify as pre-Convention or Bred in Captivity as defined in Resolution Conf. 10.16 (Rev.). A CITES traveling exhibition certificate may be issued up to 3 years for a single animal or a group of (non-living) specimens.  

Master File

For animals or non-living specimens that do not qualify for a Traveling Exhibition Certificate, a master file can be established for up to three years for one or more animals or specimens. A master file would authorize a number of (re-)exports and/or imports over a three-year period and the permittee is responsible to obtain CITES re-export documents from the re-exporting country before returning to the United States. Once a master file is approved, the permittee must obtain single-use permits, valid for 6 months or until the expiration of the master file, whichever is sooner, for each export/re-export or import (50 CFR 13.11). To renew or amend an existing Master File, locate the Master File you wish to renew or amend, select it, then choose the renew or amend button.

You must wait for a Master File to be established, renewed, or amended, prior to applying for individual, partially complete permits. You will be notified that your Master File is valid so you can apply for the permits associated with your Master File.


This application form should NOT be used for:  


To Complete This Form You Will Need the Following:

Please note in addition to obtaining this permit for your proposed activity, for any commercial activity you will need to obtain an import/export license from our Office of Law Enforcement.

U.S. Entities Apply Here

Foreign Entities Apply Here


Submit an Application

To submit an application online or through the mail, follow the instructions on our ePermits site

Need to submit your annual report?

Application Processing Fee

  • $200 to establish a Master File 
  • $100 to amend an established Master File 
  • $100 to reissue, or amend and reissue an established Master File 
  • $100 Export 
  • $100 Re-Export 
  • $75 Traveling Exhibition Certificate (pre-Convention and/or Bred-in-Captivity specimens) 
  • $5 for each required partially completed permits to accompany each shipment under a Master File 
ePermit ID