GS-12, GS-13, and GS-14 employees in the refuge manager (0485) series with more than 6 years of experience. Employees in other disciplines may be considered for nomination, particularly if they have demonstrated the potential for moving into higher refuge management positions (not exclusively 0485 positions).
Summary and Objectives:
The Advanced Refuge Management Academy will prepare experienced refuge staff to manage strategically, enhance decision making, minimize risk, and maximize management outcomes. This 2-week academy, endeavoring to foster esprit de corps, includes self-evaluation sessions, group exercises, core competency development seminars, and presentations by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and U.S. Department of the Interior leaders. Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Direct individual career development through self-evaluation and exploration of issues, programs, and career opportunities in the National Wildlife Refuge System.
- Use available resources to build or enhance individual knowledge, abilities, skills, and other characteristics to meet core competencies for current and higher grade levels.
- Effectively meet the challenges of operating an organizational unit by applying lessons learned through the experience of oneself and others.
- Engage in career-long learning and personal development to foster esprit de corps, networking, and informational sharing.
- Consider career opportunities for senior positions in regional and Washington, DC, offices.
Entrepreneurship - Intermediate, Human Capital Management - Intermediate, Leadership - Intermediate, Organizational Awareness - Advanced, Strategic Thinking - Intermediate
SELECTION OF PARTICIPANTS IN THIS ACADEMY IS DETERMINED BY A NOMINATION PROCESS FROM EACH REGIONAL OFFICE. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY HERE. DISCUSS ATTENDANCE WITH YOUR SUPERVISOR, WHO CAN THEN PROVIDE YOUR NAME TO THE REGION TO BE CONSIDERED FOR NOMINATION. IF YOU ARE NOMINATED, YOUR REGIONAL OFFICE WILL NOTIFY YOU AND THE NATIONAL CONSERVATION TRAINING CENTER WILL FOLLOW UP WITH ENROLLMENT INFORMATION.