MOCC Airboat Instructors operating Department watercraft and who are approaching the five-year point requiring refresher training.
Summary and Objectives:
As per DOI 485 DM 22 Watercraft Safety Policy, the MOCC Airboat Module (ABM) Refresher Certification is required every 5 years and consists of educational and practical proficiency components. All operators of DOI Airboats must also maintain their MOCC Certification by completing refresher requirements every 5 years. MOCC Refresher re-certification is separate from the Airboat Module refresher requirement. Refresher training consists of an educational classroom module and a practical proficiency module. This course self-certifies that airboat instructors have met the requirements outlined in the Department Manual for Airboat Refresher Training required to permit continued operation of Department-owned watercraft by Instructing at least one FWS-SAF4A02 MOCC Airboat Module (ABM) training within the 5-year refresher window.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the operating principles of an airboat.
- Understand the control panel and purpose of each gauge.
- Identify and describe each part of an airboat.
- Perform a pre-trip safety inspection.
- Demonstrate how to start, stop, and turn in both shallow and deep water.
- Operate an airboat at minimum and optimal cruising speeds.
- Demonstrate docking, beaching, and loading/unloading an airboat.