NOTE: The Motorboat Operator Certification Course is scheduled through the Regional Watercraft Safety Coordinators. View CLASS DATES/LOCATIONS and the contact person for your region. DO NOT SUBMIT AN APPLICATION THROUGH DOI TALENT FOR THIS COURSE.
Summary and Objectives:
The Airboat Module (ABM) is an entry-level course on airboat operation. Completion of the MOCC is a prerequisite for the ABM. In addition, ABM instructors can add a prerequisite of at least 20 hours of airboat operation time under the on-board supervision of an airboat operator who has at least 40 hours of airboat operation time and a thorough knowledge of the airboat(s) being operated and area(s) of operation. At least 40 hours of on-board-supervised airboat operating time (supervisor specifications same as above) is required before DOI personnel are allowed to operate an airboat independently.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the operating principles of an airboat.
- Understand the control panel and purpose of each gauge.
- Identify and describe each part of an airboat.
- Perform a pre-trip safety inspection.
- Demonstrate how to start, stop, and turn and airboat in both shallow and deep water.
- Operate an airboat at minimum and optimal cruising speeds * Demonstrate docking, beaching, and loading/unloading an airboat.