NOTE: The MOCC - River Module is scheduled through the Regional Watercraft Safety Coordinators. VIEW CLASS DATES/LOCATIONS and the contact person for your region. DO NOT SUBMIT AN APPLICATION THROUGH DOI TALENT FOR THIS COURSE.
Summary and Objectives:
The River Module (sometimes referred to as the "Moving Water Module") is an optional module that continues the progression of information and practical experience gained from the MOCC, and on the job, into an environment where additional knowledge and skills are required to safely operate vessels due to forces caused by moving water. The River Module can cover motorized or non-motorized watercraft. Since moving water conditions vary widely, River Modules are tailored to the conditions wherein the course is conducted. Course duration is increased when conditions merit (e.g., higher gradient o complex rivers).
Upon completion of this course, participants are able to:
- Understand moving water and how it affects watercraft.
- Gain familiarity with watercraft designed for use in moving water, their applications, and maintenance requirements.
- Determine if a section of moving water is safe to run.
- Understand safety factors to consider when operating watercraft in moving water.
- Avoid common problems encountered on moving water, and practice how to deal with them if not avoided.
- Perform common maneuvers in watercraft on moving water.