FWS and DOI Employees and Supervisors
Summary and Objectives
Addressing Unconscious Bias Lets Your People Thrive. Every day, your people are faced with countless bits of information while making decisions that range from the pragmatic to the strategic. As they confront more and more information and have to act quickly while considering varying perspectives, your leaders and team members are primed to rely on biased thinking called unconscious bias. Unconscious biases are how our brains compensate for overload which can inhibit performance and lead to poor decision-making. Helping your leaders and team members address bias will let them thrive, increasing performance across your entire organization. Unconscious Bias: Understanding Bias to Unleash Potential offers a principle-based and practical approach to identifying and addressing bias in our everyday life. It does so by going beyond simply raising awareness to helping participants build practical skills that let them recognize bias in action and counter its potentially harmful effects. This course counts towards 5 hours Diversity Credit.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Develop leaders who create an inclusive workplace and address unconscious bias's impact on decision making.
- Build a culture where everyone feels respected, included, and valued.
- Improve collaboration between newly acquired groups or between existing functional silos.
- Develop an inclusive culture that positively impacts the bottom line.
- Shift from a compliance-based approach to diversity training to a more practical, action-oriented approach.
- Close the gap between expected and actual behaviors in how people see and treat each other.
Leveraging Diversity – 2, Continual Learning-1, Critical Thinking-2, Interpersonal Dynamics-1, Empathy-2